Monday, January 31, 2005

Job interviews: What not to say

1. Don't pick a fight with the interviewer. Example follows ...

Applicant: "So you are making a decision this week?"

Me: "Well, no, I don't think so. I'm narrowing down ..."

Applicant: "This is outrageous. I was told that you would decide this week!"

Me: "I'm sorry if there was a miscommunication. I'm hoping to reach a decision soon, but there are still some interviews ..."

Applicant: "This is extremely unprofessional and unacceptable ..."

Me: "All right, listen. If you came in here and knocked my socks off, sure, I might have made a decision this week. But you didn't, so goodbye."

A shame really. The person was on my short list up to that point.

2. Don't argue like you already work here ...

Me: "That's an interesting story pitch. But it's very legalistic. You see, for our readers, you really need to identify the points in the process where investors can get a clue about buy, sell or hold."

Applicant: "Well, now you're just thinking like an editor."

Sigh.

Hey, it's not all me. The deputy managing editors here do some interviews too.

3. Know what you want to do (or at least make the interviewer think you do).

Deputy: "So do you want to work here or not?"

Applicant: "I'll let you be the judge of that."


/*
My friend actually did say this during an interview with a consulting firm. Needless to say, he wasn’t hired.
*/
Interviewer: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
Interviewee: "In your chair!"
**************************************

/*
Aren’t we all human?
*/
Interviewer: "What are your weaknesses?"
Interviewee: "I have no weaknesses. I am always right and never make
mistakes. I always get the job done right."
Interviewer: [shocked]

No comments: